Allie has written a fabulous piece that I think should be required reading. I wrote an earlier piece that works well with this one. Thanks Allie!
It’s oftentimes hard to break through to potential clients that you’re an agent who truly cares. Naturally, one of the main goals of an agent is to help clients buy or sell their home in the pursuit of getting a percentage of the sale. And that’s great - that’s your job! But there are many agents who also truly desire to HELP people find the right home or help with a sale for the betterment of their clients.
So, the issue arises of how you can break free from the pack of money-consumed agents to show that you have a sincere concern for your clients and their needs.
The answer? Give up.
Be willing to give up your time, money and energy into the lives of your clients and the community.
Now, you may be thinking, “Oh, you mean ‘give back’ as in taking the time to give back to the community.” Nope. I mean give up. It seems similar, but the mindset can be completely different. Giving back is a trendy phrase that everyone wants to get in on. Hollywood is soaking in the spotlight of ‘giving back’ as camera crews follow stars to charity organizations or large fundraising events. But giving back implies that you’ve gotten something in the first place.
Giving up is a completely different mindset. It means giving up your time, money and energy no matter what you get out of it. Now that is a true test of caring! How would that type of focus translate to your clients or potential clients? Think about it.
Giving back and giving up may wear the same clothes, but how you go about it is something only you will know. An example of this is Philanthropy REALTORS®, based in Los Angeles, CA. This group commits to donate 10-25% of a home sale or buying transaction to their client’s charity of choice upon close of escrow. Imagine how meaningful that is to the client!
Here are other examples of “giving up”:
- Volunteer on a regular basis at your favorite charity. This doesn’t mean showing up once a year so you can check it off your list, but really digging in and getting involved.
- Take time to get to know your clients and their interests. If they are involved in the community in some way; offer to help! It may be that you join them in running a 5K to raise money for a local hospital or helping to turn a vacant lot into a park for the community.
- Highlight local non-profits on your website. This will help connect you with the community as well as connecting your audience with volunteer opportunities.
- Offer free advice! Hosting free seminars on buying or selling in your community will be a great way to reach out while allowing you to get to know people in the area.
I’m sure there are hundreds of other ways to get involved in your clients lives and as well as the life of your community! If you have any other ideas - feel free to share them here!
Allie Hlad, Listing & Photography Coordinator
Phone: 847-705-1655 x205
Our Real Estate Client Testimonials
Our Real Estate Marketing Samples
If you're thinking about selling, I'd love to meet with you and provide a Market Analysis and go over my Marketing Plan - it is the little things that make the difference.**
Sotheby's International Realty Canada, Brokerage*
Serving the Kingston, Gananoque and the 1000 Islands Region
- come for a visit and stay for a lifetime!
*Each office independently owned and operated.
** There is nothing on this blog that is intended to solicit business from anyone already under contract with another Realtor
The opinions expressed on this blog are the personal opinions of Susan Emo
If you are a non-member and would like to comment, please feel free to contact me.
Take a moment to visit my facebook fan page at
and click "LIKE" today!